Sunday, June 20, 2010

Summer Tips 4 Families Plus Father's Day Greetings

Life is not all flowers and laughter.

Summer time could be tough for many families, because kids are out of school, and while they relax and free from school work, they also get bored easily at home. As a mother to two teen kids, I recall my times while kids are out of school, I know it could be a struggle, especially when a family has limited access or resources to summer relief programs.

Some tips I would like to give or share to/with parents:

#1: Take a summer vacation, no matter how tight the budge is, take a break and spend time far away from home is one way to unwind and refresh oneself.

My family has been doing it every year when the kids are young. We bought membership from zoos and science museums, each family pays about $75 for each organization, the family earns FREE visits to more than 200 zoos, and more than 200 science museums, or natural history museums. This saves money, and when the family travels cross the states, one feels more relaxed…money is spent on gas, food, and hotel. We always bring swimming suits when we travel, kids enjoy swimming in pools in hotels.

#2: Enroll kids in summer reading programs, take advantage of locale public library.

In the U. S., public libraries play an important role in educating, entertaining, and supporting families during summer break.

My kids enjoy borrowing books from public libraries and taking them home to read. Keep a record and report to the library, they reward kids’ effort by the end of July.

They also host special shows in June, July, for about eight weeks. Each Tuesday, Thursday. Some singers, story tellers, crowns, book writers,…are invited to perform for kids in a large hall, parents with kids or babies are welcome and they are free to the public. On Wednesdays, they have movie time, it is also free.

Call or visit your locale library for details. I love my locale public library so much and have enjoyed visiting regularly for years. Also, they have internet and limit library users to use the computers for 1 to 2 hours, each patron can have a limit of two accesses to the internet there. I used to use the computer there, with two of my kids also log on to separated computers. We spend 1 to 2 hours online, everyone enjoys the peaceful time.

In addition, kids who are 12 years old or older are allowed to spend time in public library alone. If a parent has some errands to run or special meeting to attend, they can feel free to drop their teen kids at public library, where they read books, or magazines, and use internet.

#3: Summer School and Relief Meal Programs.

My family has lived in a few states. When we moved to the state where we are now, we find the locale education system is of high quality and they offer summer programs to help families,

Kids of age 0-18 can eat breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday, in June and July, at two elementary schools for FREE during summer time. I used to take my kids there, the program help families to break away from their homes, expose themselves in public, meet other families or friends who are in similar situations. At times, my kids will go to school playground to play with their friends after the meal, and in general, it ends up either they are invited to go visit their friends’ houses in the afternoon, or invite a friend over to play.
It is fun for everyone.

My kids refuse to go when they grow older than 12 years old. In general, families with smaller kids enjoy more. I used to see a couple who came in, with six kids, from 10 year old, 8, 6, 4, 2, and baby…wow. I was shocked to see some people who have the energy to bear and raise so many children. They do need such relief.

Kids from kindergarten to 5th grade can enroll in a 4 week summer school program in public schools. Both of my kids have been doing it. I send them in at 8am, they do math until 10am, then reading until 12, then they automatically eat lunch there before being picked up.

Not all states have summer meal relief programs. I consider we are lucky at where we are.

#4: Develop play mates.

I could not play with my kids all the time. It is more fun to invite one of his friends over and they are happy to play for a day. I usually let them play indoor for a while, encourage them to ride bikes in the neighborhood, take them to swim in public pool, then take them out for lunch, borrow a movie home to watch or go watch a movie in the afternoon, also go to playground to kill some hours…Friendships are mutual, I used to have my kids being invited over to fishing, hike in woods, short distance traveling and so on. I enjoy free time when my kids are gone to their friends’ houses.

#5: Enroll in some camps.

My husband goes nuts when the kids stay at home with NO programs or plans. Thus, we enroll them in some summer camps. After fifth grade, both kids do music camps for a week.
There are information online everywhere, one simply do online research before school is over, plan ahead, apply and send them when it is time.


*****

I write these based on my personal experiences.

Today is father’s day, I wish my own father a happy father’s day ahead. My father is good, hard working…I am grateful growing up having a loving father who never beats his kids and works hard to provide or support the family.

I wish all of you, fathers, or fathers in your family a very happy father’s day.
Thank you for taking the responsibility to raise kids and have a normal family, thank you for the braveness, intelligence, and uprightness in standing up tall, and making history.

Fathers are heroes. They risk their lives to provide safety and peace to their families and to their country when it comes to a war.

Fathers are leaders. They work as presidents, CEOs, mayors, or managers to lead, produce, and keep life alive and full of hopes.

Fathers are artists. They work as writers, designers, professors, researchers, or entertainers to make books, design beautiful landscapes or houses, mold young and promising students, and cheer up audiences with their music, literature, and movies…

Fathers are bloggers. For my followers who are fathers, I thank You for your friendship and
for sharing your most shining wisdom of life with me in your posts. I have enjoyed reading your words, touring your lovely gardens, and getting feedback from you upon my own posts.

Without fathers, this world is dull and empty...

Happy Fathers Day to All!



Compassionate Blogger Award



Your Creativity Makes Me Smile Award

The above two awards are for all of the blogging friends who have left a comment in this blog or wish to have them and will leave a comment under this post.

Relax, Happy Sunday!

41 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Jingle,

Hope your having a great Sunday.
These are some great ideas.
Thanks for the tips.

Ronda Laveen said...

Those are great summer tips, Jingle. The world is dull and empty without fathers.

Peggy said...

Jingle;

A beautiful tribute to fathers,and none of us would be here without one that's for sure.
Hope your Sunday is beautiful!
I love Sundays!
Thanks so much for your shout out to bloggers that are fortunate enough to read your blog!

Kim, USA said...

I agree every family should have some vacation somewhere to unwind and just be together. Love your flowers!


Yellow Hollyhock

Jenny said...

Hi Jingle, Lovely ideas! Your Father sounds like an amazing man!

Happy Sunday!

Rosaria Williams said...

Hey Jingle, thanks for your fun comments, always upbeat, always suprising. This post was chockful of great ideas. Thank you for putting them together and sharing.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Thanks for the tips; most enjoyable read.

Thanks for the visit and comment.

Yvonne.

hope said...

Wonderful ideas and kind words to share. I hope your father appreciates his daughter. :)

Sheri said...

jingle, i have never seen you post anything more than a few sentences so i have to tell you i was amazed to read your blog today!
your ideas are spectacular and they are really going to help a lot of people get through the summer with joy and they can actually save some money when you count the free meals that are given daily.
my grandkids love the library reading program and wouldn't miss it for the world. our library just did acquire a teen librarian so they have a fun time for kids who are eleven and older.
you really outdid yourself with this post, thanks for taking the burden off of us summer weary moms and grandmas!!

Kathy G said...

All great ideas.

Jesson Balaoing said...

Hope your having a great Sunday.
These are some great ideas.
Thanks for the tips.

sheila said...

Nice post to your dad! Very nice

Muthering Heights said...

Happy Father's Day to the guys in your life! :)

Anonymous said...

Great tips. We never went on trips as children so we make it a point to get out of the house over the summer. We are heading someone, in our car in July. We are off for some kind of fun. Just don't know where yet lol. Great tribute to dads:)

magiceye said...

wonderful tips indeed!

TALON said...

I hope your husband had a wonderful Father's Day, Jingle!

Captain Dumbass said...

You've got some good ideas there, thanks for sharing.

Ed Pilolla said...

i read this as i begin a week's family vacation in hawaii. fathers have a tough job. they are to be honored, yes.

Kimberly said...

What a great list. We have a home summer program, and a list of all the things the children have to do before they enjoy their day.

Some camps, they are very pricey, so we are doing fewer camps this year.

Hope you had a lovely Fathers Day. We enjoyed the day with my husband. Made him very special meals all day.

Unknown said...

These were some really nice tips. Vacations always help. We took them with friends and relatives. I loved Museums and Libraries too. But I fell asleep most times with the guides speaking... LOL
Have a good day!

Barbara said...

Such excellent advice and suggestions for entertaining kids, Jingle. Mine are grown now, but summer always consisted of lots of day camps, tennis camps, tutoring, if needed and almost always a couple weeks on vacation. Older kids would benefit from doing some volunteer work too.

Lovely tribute to dads!

Sinderella's Studio said...

Great information - I have copied it to my daughters'in laws!!!
thanks!
dana

☺lani☺ said...

Thanks for dropping by, nice post! Have a great week ahead!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Good tips, especially about getting them into reading programs. I always did that for mine and they are all voracious readers today.

SmilingSally said...

Hi Jingle,

Nice to "meet" you. Have a good week.

buffalodick said...

Our kids were up to a community pool most of the summers....

Regina said...

Great tips Jingle.
Have a great week.

arabesque said...

hi jingle!
i wish you a good week ahead,
tnx for the wonderful tips and awesome pictures you've shared!
^0^

Bossy Betty said...

Thanks for the tips! Your comments on fathers and for fathers who are bloggers were beautiful!!!

Maude Lynn said...

Excellent summer tips!

Dorraine said...

Jingle, my kids are much older now, two of them working outside the home, but I especially loved your library tips. I always took mine to the library. Thanks for all your great tips.

And, yes, father's surely deserve our respect and admiration. Hopefully we can give them this throughout the whole year.

Sam Liu said...

I support your beautiful message, fathers are indeed heroes. The tips are very helpful too, I'm sure a lot of parents will find them most useful. Wishing you a happy week, Jingle :D

Unknown said...

Lovely post Jingle. Yes Fathers are very special.. Hope all the dads had a great day.

We celebrate Fathers Day here in September.

Dhemz said...

I totally agree...everyone deserves to take a vacation once in awhile...we do that every year.....

thanks for dropping by...great to be here!

Rosaria Williams said...

p.s.
Thanks for following my memoir blog. I just posted my last chapter and wanted to thank my loyal readers. Without your comments it would have been a very lonely journey.

LV said...

You have some excellent suggestions and appreciate you sharing with us. Also, I am pleased you paid me a visit.

Baba said...

Hi Jingle, thanks for sharing these summertime tips..my grands have friends come over to play and sleep over every once and again.They also go to different camps in the summer.. plus they love the library and reading books.
My husband and I got to spend a week at the beach with our youngest grands and had a great time..our daughter and SIL even had a date night, as the kids call it..thanks for your visit to my place today.... hugs, Baba

Gandhali said...

happy father's day to you too!

JGH said...

Thanks - you've reminded that the town offers some things that I haven't taken advantage of. It's so true that you don't need to leave home to get a vacation. We sometimes go to a local hotel for one night just to use the pool and get away from home!

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello jingle its dennis the vizsla dog hay i think i wil giv the flowers to my dada as a belayted fathers day gift!!! ok bye

Amy said...

It was very nice of you to link up for Round Robin..
Thank for all of the tips.. Have a great day.